Job title: Research Scientist
Who we are
We are a Center of Excellence on the use and evaluation of innovative strategies for evidence-informed decision-making (EIDM) at the College of Health Sciences, Makerere University. The Center is built on work that began a decade ago and aimed to support policy and decision-making processes with high-quality and timely evidence.
What we do
The Center receives and responds to policymakers’ urgent needs for evidence for public policymaking. We engage policy processes at all governance levels and support them with evidence for timely and ‘healthy’ policies and decision-making processes. We work with several institutions, including the Ministries of Health, Education and Sports, and Labour, Gender and Social Development, District Local Governments, Parliament of Uganda, Office of the Prime Minister, and Office of the President. We also build capacity for EIDM for individuals and institutions. This involves researchers, policymakers and knowledge brokers.
How we do it
Under our flagship service, the first-ever known in a low and middle-income country and now modelled in more than 15 countries globally, we receive questions or issues on the policy agenda and require evidence to support the process. We then synthesise the best available evidence in a short period, contextualise it for the setting, and summarise and package it for the policymaker. This synthesis process may require looking at documents, research, grey literature, and engaging citizens through citizen panels and policy dialogues to get tacit knowledge to complement the non-tacit formal one.
Who we are looking for
The position is for a full-time Research Scientist based at Makerere University, College of Health Sciences, Mulago. He or She will support the Center’s team in developing and running a regional center of excellence for rapid evidence synthesis as part of the team in several ways.
Qualifications and experience
- Bachelors’ degree
- Masters’ degree preferably in Epidemiology, public health or related advanced training in research methods.
- At least 2 years’ experience working in similar settings.
Expected roles and responsibilities
1. Work on a mechanism responding rapidly to national and sub-national policymaker needs for research evidence
2. Solicit policymakers and systems managers for systems queries and prepare responses
3. Coordinate both local and international experts in responding to these policymaker needs
4. Contribute to capacity building activities, both internally within the team and externally as part of the centers activities through training workshops, for researchers, brokers and policymakers.
5. Contribute to other assignments of the center, like policy dialogues and citizen panels, and other research syntheses
6. Contribute to the research agenda of the center
7. Contribute and ensure the execution of monitoring and evaluation activities
8. Contribute to the dissemination of results from the center
9. Submit a periodic reporting to the director in the form and within the time periods agreed
10. Perform any other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the senior research scientist and/or any of the directors of the center.
Applications with a recent resume, letters from 2 referees, and a copy of your most recent academic qualifications should be addressed to the Director and emailed to email@example.com.
Friday 23th July 2021 at 5:00 pm.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted