STOOL4TB is a project aiming at Improving TB diagnosis in children and people living with HIV through a novel stool-based qPCR: a multicentric study in Eswatini, Mozambique and Uganda (RIA2018D-2511). The project is funded by the European-Developing Countries Clinical Trials Platform (EDCTP), a mechanism under the EU’s Horizon 2020 research program. In Uganda, Stool4TB project is implemented by the College of Health Sciences, Makerere University, Kampala, Uganda.
The study seeks to recruit a PhD student as per the below descriptions
Position: PhD Student (1 Position)
Direct Supervisor: Study coordinator
Overall Supervisor: Principal Investigator
Duration: Maximum 3-years subject to funding availability and performance, this scholarship will cover stipend only. The candidate is expected to design the PhD thesis within the STOOL4TB project. The candidate is expected to participate in the STOOL4TB activities working closely with the study coordinator and supervisors.
Qualifications and other desirables for the Scholarship
- BSC (Biological Sciences)
- Master of Science, Clinical Microbiology, Immunology, Molecular Biology or biomedical Sciences
- Working experience in a research setting
- Experience in implementing/ coordinating research projects
- Good clinical practice (GCP) and Good Clinical Laboratory Practice (GCLP) training is an added advantage
- Experience in laboratory biosafety practices, especially, BSL-3 activities as well as working in an accredited laboratory is an added advantage.
- Experience in tuberculosis, biological related experiments is an added desirable.
- Must be familiar with email, internet and good knowledge of Microsoft computer programs
- Excellent, oral and written communication skills and be capable of prioritizing and multi-tasking in a busy environment and be able to work in a multi-disciplinary team.
How to apply: If you have the relevant qualifications and experience, provide a detailed CV demonstrating possession of the scholarship requirements, current position, names and addresses of two referees preferably, one from an academic staff, copies of academic certificates and testimonials including a day time telephone contact, a one-page concept paper, and one-page motivational statement.
Applications can be emailed or hand-delivered to the following address
Ms. Nakayiza Hariet, email; firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: +256 704559920.
and copy Ms. Basemera Joanitah, email email@example.com, tel; 0701925906
The deadline for receiving the application is 19th May 2021.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted, any form of canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification. If you do not hear from us three weeks after the deadline of this advert, kindly consider your application unsuccessful.