THE MAKERERE UNIVERSITY INTERNATIONAL BIOETHICS RESEARCH TRAINING PhD PROGRAMME (GRANT NUMBER D43TW010892)
ADVERTISEMENT FOR PhD FELLOWSHIPS IN BIOETHICS (4th COHORT)
Applications are invited for PhD fellowships in bioethics from Makerere University College of Health Sciences faculty and individuals who participate in the academic activities of the college who are interested and COMMITTED to becoming bioethics scholars.
Successful applicants should be willing to become bioethics scholars as they work within the structured and mentored training programme with a focus on any aspect of international research bioethics related to Health Sciences. Funding will be available to support 2 successful doctoral candidates up to 3 years of accelerated training leading to the award of the Makerere University doctoral degree.
This training is open to faculty including people who contribute to teaching and research at Makerere University or one of its partner institutions in Uganda, who meet any of the following criteria:
- Able to articulate a clear research bioethics problem of interest to them.
- Demonstrate prior participation in bioethics, beyond having submitted research proposals to an IRB.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of bioethics in order to know that this is an appropriate next step for the applicant.
- Demonstrate past active participation in bioethics in health service delivery or at the interface of health related ethical-legal issues
- Provide evidence of experience in research in bioethics and or authorship in this field
- Prior master’s level or fellowship level training in bioethics or related fields.
Criteria for Selection
- Demonstrated interest in doctoral research training and conducting research with a focus on research bioethics.
- Potential to handle rigorous academic requirements of the doctoral program.
- Having a plan for career development
- Capacity towards attaining research leadership and international recognition in bioethics.
- Female candidates and medical doctors are especially encouraged to apply
Applications must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org and should consist of a cover letter (1 page only), a resume (not more than 3 pages), a personal statement (Maximum 1 page), a Makerere University formatted PhD research concept (Maximum 10 pages) and two letters of recommendation (sent separately by the referees to email@example.com). The personal statement should include your contribution to the academic and research life of a department at Makerere University College of Health Sciences, your aspirations for career progression in the next 5-7 years, research interests and any information you consider relevant. Closing date for the receipt of applications is 8th October 2021. Enquiries can be forwarded to the PI, of the PhD bioethics research training Program on firstname.lastname@example.org
|Application deadline:||October 8, 2021|
|Interviews||October 15, 2021|
|Notification date:||October 22, 2021|
|Proposed start date:||November 1, 2021|
Part of this training will take place at Johns Hopkins University Berman Institute of Bioethics in the USA in Year 1 for a total of 2-3 months. Successful candidates will receive a monthly stipend based on USA National Institutes of Health regulations, tuition, research funds and travel to the USA. Applicants should demonstrate excellent communications skills and will be expected to work as part of a highly motivated, result oriented bioethics group.